The MENA HPF adheres to these guiding values of quality, relevance and independence:
We seek to ensure the quality of the research and policy analysis that we endorse or sponsor by:
- Establishing a quality assurance process involving independent peer reviews both at the proposal and final-draft stages of the process
- Directly commissioning papers by known experts in the field, in addition to the usual competitive tender of papers among regional researchers.
We ensure the relevance and impact of the research and analysis that we endorse or sponsor by:
- Being sensitive to the political economy determinants of decision making;
- Actively engaging policy makers at an early stage of project development to integrate their concerns and priorities (without compromising independence and integrity) and to gain access to relevant data;
- Taking into account in the course of conducting research and policy analysis such dimensions as:
- Distributional issues.
- Political calculus.
- Alternative policy options,
- Implementation issues.
- Budgetary implications and affordability.
We maintain our independence, without compromising our influence, by
- Seeking a broad spread of members and funding sources
- Limiting voting rights through the following clause in the charter
Where there is a conflict of interest between the personal interest of a Member of the Forum and the aim or the interest of the Forum such Member of the Forum generally remains a participant in any discussion but in all cases without voting rights.
Furthermore, a Member of the Forum has no right to vote if he or she is at the time of the vote a government official or if he or she at the time of the vote lacks connexion to the region by dint of residence up-bringing or nationality or if he or she is at the time of the vote an employee of a commercial organisation.
Nor may a member vote for resolutions about decisions, acts or disputes regarding themselves, any direct relative, his or her employer or, in case of officials of national or international organisations, the respective government, national or international organisation.