The MENA HPF's mission is to contribute to the development of effective, efficient, equitable, and sustainable policies that improve health and/or that mitigate adverse consequences of ill health in the MENA region for the most disadvantaged.
The Forum seeks to have an impact upon policy formulation by:
- Supporting the development of accessible data sets to conduct comparative analysis of health policy issues and to monitor the effectiveness of health policy reforms
- Supporting the building of analytical and policy making capacity in the region (through workshops, seminars, and occasional internships)
- Commissioning and disseminating high quality original research and analysis of health policy questions
- Providing a venue for networking and for exchange of ideas and experience amongst those with interest in health policy
- Establishing a website with Forum papers, resources and links.
The Forum will prioritise research that is likely to have a high impact on achieving the Forum’s aim. Therefore, it will focus on tackling problems that affect a large segment of the population and that have policy relevance and regional importance. The relevance and impact of the research and analysis will be a priority and will require sensitivity to political and economic determinants of decision making, to distributional issues, alternative policy options, implementation issues, and budgetary implications and affordability. It also requires active engagement with policy makers at early stages of project development to integrate their concerns and priorities (though without compromising independence and integrity) and to gain access to relevant data. Impact is also assured by our reputation for producing research and analysis of the highest quality. The Forum employs a quality assurance process involving independent peer reviews both at the proposal and final-draft stages of projects, both for papers commissioned from experts in the field, and for those arising from competitive tender among regional researchers.
The Forum employs various dissemination routes and techniques to maximise the impact of its work, including:
- Holding conferences, workshops and seminars with all relevant stakeholders
- Issuing press releases and directly interacting with the media
- Publishing its research and policy analysis, including on a Forum website
- Creating affiliated country offices